Saturday, August 8, 2015

Tahoe Summer!

Our week up in Tahoe this summer didn't go quite as planned. On our second day there a tall cabinet fell over on Ford and busted his mouth open. We rushed him to the ER and he had to get about a dozen stitches. It was pretty awful for all of us, but our brave boy handled it so well. His little face was hard to look at, but luckily by the next morning he was already smiling again. There is nothing worse than watching your child in pain and there's nothing you can do. Thank God that stitches were his only injury because it could have been so much worse. He will definitely recover faster than his mom and dad's hearts.

They had to sedate him so that they could get his stitches lined up, and when it started to wear off he looked at me, and in a slurred speech said "Mommy you look like an alien!". He was seeing double and I guess I had two heads! I actually thought he said you look like an idiot, so I will take alien over that!

 Luckily once we got him home he slept for 3 hours. Poor baby was exhausted, and I had a hard time not staying by his side. I watched him sleep for most of those 3 hours. I held it together all day so not to scare Ford, but once I put him to bed I lost it. It was a lot of pregnancy hormones, but also it was just a terrifying experience. It was one of the screams you hear as a parent coming from your child and you heart drops and you know they are really hurt. There was a lot of blood and it was hard to tell the extent of his injuries. I saw panic in Erik's eyes and I knew he was really hurt. I felt like I failed him and failed to protect him, but I know accidents happen. It is a helpless feeling, and all I kept thinking about was those parents whose children are really sick.....I can't even imagine.  

By the next morning our sweet and brave boy was already smiling....well as best as he could smile!



So what does a mom with a guilty heart do after a traumatic experience??? Go buy a bunch of ice cream, popsicles and toys!




Ford made quick recovery and we just stayed out of the sun and wore a hat the rest of the trip! He's such a trooper!




Our friends the Negard's were in Tahoe at the same time so we met up with them for the day!

Karsten Loved playing with Ford and refused to wear his swimsuit!!!







We also met up with the Taylor's at their lake house, and did a little tubing!


These two! The love they have for each other!

The trip started off rough, but we ended with lots of smiles and lots of fun memories. Tahoe is our happy place!

No comments:

Post a Comment